1678. The magnificent architectural ensemble that is Chateau de Galleville was built for Monsieur Roque de Varengeville, counsellor to King Louis XIV and also his ambassador in Venice (a city in which he would develop a passion for stucco architecture, later applying this decorative technique to the chateau's chapel. Jeanne-Angélique de Varengeville received Galleville as a dowry when she married, on 2 February 1702, Claude-Louis-Hector de Villars, Duke of Villars, Marshal of France and commander-in-chief of King Louis XIV (the Battle of Höchstädt is one of his most notable victories).
1742. Estate map.
1769. A continuous line of ownership by inheritance or marriage can be traced from the present owners back to 1769, year in which the chateau estate was bought by the Monsieur de Reuville family. In later years, it passed via marriage into the families of the Count of Héricy and the Marquis de Montault. Finally, it was bequeathed by Melle Isaure de Montault to her nephew, the Baron d'Etchegoyen.
1789. The Revolution spread to Doudeville but the chateau emerged relatively unscathed. "The chronicles of the time inform us that the town was not very stirred up," explains Aliette Gillet, the current owner. "Nevertheless, one small group set out in the direction of the chateau. But it was hot and several of them were drunk. Outside the village, a short climb proved too much for them". Their revolutionary fervour subsided and the chateau was saved from a worse fate.
1880. Complete restoration of the chateau carried out by Count Mniszech, husband of a certain Melle de Montault.
1914-1918. Chateau occupied by regiments of Scottish and English soldiers.
1937. Achille Duchêne created a transversal avenue in the park.
1943. Galleville suffered damages during World War II, not by bombs but by a fire started by the Germans who were occupying the site. Accidentally, it would seem. At the end of the war, a whole section of the chateau was in ruins. The Baron d'Etchegoyen rapidly set about repairing the damage — the building works would last eight years but restored the chateau to its former glory.
1984. Robert Gillet, a French ambassador, and his wife Aliette became the proud new owners of Chateau de Galleville. "After diplomacy, Robert discovered a new profession and passion," Aliette reveals.
4 mai 1984. Chateau de Galleville listed as a Historic Monument.
1988. Louis Benech carried out three transformations: first, he transformed the kitchen garden; second, he designed a long and deep border in colours of red and gold; third, he created a small Renaissance garden.